9.21.2011

design blab: DIY California

While contemplating my agenda for this past Sunday afternoon, I realized that I have really been holding out on myself lately. While shopping, dining, and boozing are some of my favorite pastimes, I swear there is much more to me. "When is the last time I had a creative project to work on," I asked myself. It must have been months! So I felt it was due time to pay some respects to the creative side I inherited from the generations before me. Thus, behold "California."


The Process:

Materials:

  • 1 large plank of wood
  • Sand paper
  • Decorative paper (I picked mine up at Papersource, because I am obsessed)
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint
  • Large paint brush
  • Foam paint brush

How to:

  • Sand the wood on the side you will be using and on all 4 edges.
  • Paint the wood and allow to dry.
  • Rip up your decorative paper into pieces. The sizes are your prerogative.
  • Once dry, trace your design onto the wood.
  • Using your foam brush, "paint" the back of your ripped pieces of paper with Mod Podge and apply to your drawing. Depending on the shape of your design, you may need to use scissors for precision.
  • Continue placing ripped paper within your design, until complete.


Hang, set somewhere, stare at for a few hours. Do what you may, but be sure to enjoy.

1 comment: